Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mazurka, op.56 No.3 (Chopin)

REMAKE: Chopin: Mazurka op 56 no 3

This is my best clip of 2010 (the Chopin anniversary) so I decided to make an overhaul and remake of it, making the sound finally reach decent quality. I had technical problems when recording it in October, not being able to reach acceptable compression levels in my MP3 data (resulting in a poor "plastic" sound), and also problems for many (including myself) with hangups/hiccups during playback. After a lot of discussions (both offline and at youtube) I found out the real trick for producing this kind of clips: You must give priority to the sound! The sound and the video (visuals) compete for every 0 and 1 in the data, and we are on the internet now, and data speed is restricted! So I have now applied rather heavy compression on the visual stream, reducing the number of visual 0s and 1s..., and voila you get enough room for 128 kbps MP3 sound, in a video with far below 10 MB/minute data. So it should be viewable on slow internet connections as well. I have had critical remarks on the relevance of spending time with this ("there are no bad pianos, only bad pianists") but I strongly disagree. Sound recording should be done appropriately and a decent musical performance deserves a good instrument and recording technique. Regarding the music: One of my favourite mazurkas. Like several of the later mazurkas it contains polyphonical passages which I find very interesting, and very beautiful. Played and recorded by August Linnman 2010-10-02 Remastered 2011-01-31 Instrument ...


You can download the sheet music from the video: Mazurka, op.56 No.3 (Chopin)

Vladimir Ashkenazy plays Chopin Mazurka Op.56 No.3

Vladimir Ashkenazy plays Frederic Chopin Mazurka Op. 56 No. 3 in c moll (c minor).